Cobh Branch Ireland
World Ship Society
The Cobh Branch was established in 2005, it is the
only branch of the society in the Republic of Ireland.
The branch, though still in its infancy, provides an interesting programme of activities for members. Presentations are made during the winter months, the summer period is spiced with visits to ships in the port. We have also engaged in foreign travel , including a visit to Poland, Sweden and the UK.
Cobh in Cork Harbour, was originally known as Cove, then Queenstown following the visit of Queen Victoria and finally was changed to the Gaelic version of the original Cobh (pronounced Cove).
Cobh is the harbour town of Cork Harbour, which is the second largest natural harbour in the World. The city of Cork is 14 miles up river from Cobh.
Through the years the port has played an important part in maritime history. It was the centre of Irish deportation and emigration in the 1800's. It was the last port of call of the TITANIC. The port had a major role in the LUSITANIA disaster, which is commemorated in the town. Cobh was a strategic port for the British Royal Navy until 1938. The worlds first sailing club - the Water Club, now the Royal Cork Yacht Club, was formed in Cobh in 1720.
Today the port is home to the headquarters of the Irish Naval Service on the island of Haulbowline and is also a busy container and ferry port. It is a cruise liner terminal with about 60 cruise ships visiting annually. Whitegate oil refinery is located in the East of the harbour. There are several clubs in the harbour promoting, sailing, rowing, angling, a wide range of other water sports. The National Maritime College of Ireland is based at Ringaskiddy. University College Cork has its Coastal and Marine Resources Research Centre in the harbour area also.